Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Washed out

http://www.carolinadeluca.com/urban-sketching

Today we've had the first real snow of the season. You can picture it: everything is white and calm and beautiful, and I am eager to go out and draw. Like every Wednesday afternoon, I have to go to Gex, so I plan to sketch something there. Everything seems to just fit: it is still snowing on my way on to Gex, I have an umbrella, snow is calm and easier to manage than water. I also know beforehand where to go, since some days ago I had discovered a nice spot while walking my dog during my daughter's dancing class. Like I said, everything is just OK.

But oh, when I get myself installed, which is no easy thing (imagine: the snow, my back-pack, the coat, the gloves, my stool... and the umbrella), some wind starts blowing... not too strong, but enough to move my umbrella which I am only keeping in place with my armpit. My sketchbook starts getting soaked in water. I discover that my marker does not work in too wet paper. I turn my stool a bit to at least partially stop the wind with my back. Of course part of my stuff fells down in the snow. I pick it. All OK again. I manage to start. My expectations of what I will manage to do get downer every passing second, but I am OK. It is fun. Then at some point it starts raining, and then yes, that's a mess. Everything is soaked in water. My umbrella never seems to be big enough, and ok, I end up managing something as dirty as the washed snow, and I run away as quick as I can!




3 comments:

  1. Carolina, this made me laugh so much. This is what I'll be dealing with in a week or so. Your painting is SO beautiful; amazing that you did it under such challenging conditions. You live in a wonderful area! I look forward to more of your winter sketches. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is tricky when it rains! Sometimes you can drive from the car, but I couldn't there. The region where I live is very special, for many reasons, but more notably because it is an almost rural area, but very close to the international Geneva in Switzerland. But in the end it always depends on the mood... sometimes I feel the need of more colored and less stony buildings!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete