Thursday, November 26, 2015

Building a story up

http://www.carolinadeluca.com/illustration

What does come before, the chicken or the egg? What does come before, the idea for a story and then the illustration, or the illustration and then the need to make it live and evolve to build a story? Sometimes it is clear, others I am not so sure. 

The drawing I am posting today is one of these cases where the story and the illustration came together, or maybe the story had been growing up inside me before the drawing came, or maybe I got inspired during my excursions to sketch the little villages around mine. Most probably a bit of everything. 

A while ago I posted an illustration of a little road which inspired a story in which I am working on now. When you work a story out, the first thing you need is a storyboard. That is, a set of simple drawings put in the format of a graphic novel that will mark the evolution of the story. After that one can start doing the serious illustration work, so now I am making different tests of composition, color, characters, and others to define how is the place where this story will take place. Today's illustration is one of these tests. 

What will happen in this little town?




No comments:

Post a Comment